Ready to take a small step that can make a big difference this Plastic Free July? Choose reusable nappies!
Did you know that a day’s worth of single-use nappies has the same environmental footprint as throwing away at least 17 single-use plastic bags? Using reusable nappies doesn’t have to be all in to make a positive impact. Even using just one reusable nappy can significantly reduce single-use plastic waste and save you money.
Modern designs are user-friendly and efficient. With adjustable sizes, secure fastenings, and natural absorbent materials, they offer the same level of convenience and leak protection as their disposable counterparts. To learn more about getting started with reusable nappies, including what they are, how to use, wash, and dry them, visit our ‘Getting Started with Reusable Nappies‘ page.
We’re here to support you! If you live in the London Borough of Barnet, Bexley, Camden, City of Westminster, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Islington, Lambeth, Waltham Forest and Kingston upon Thames, and you have baby under 18 months or are expecting one, you can apply for a voucher worth up to £70. This voucher will help towards the upfront cost of buying reusable nappies, or you can use it for a paid-for weekly nappy laundry service.
Here’s a summary of further useful resources for accessing reusable nappies, advice and support:
- Buying Online or In-store: Reusable nappies are available for purchase online from dedicated reusable nappy retailers offering a wide variety of brands and modern styles. Supermarkets like Tesco, Aldi and others also offer reusable nappies, making them easily accessible during routine shopping trips.
- UK Cloth Nappy Libraries: Cloth nappy libraries allow the option to borrow and try different types and brands of reusable nappies before making a purchase. London-based nappy libraries like South London Nappies and Waltham Forest Cloth Nappy Library offer a range of options and can provide guidance on choosing the right nappies for your baby’s needs. There are many cloth nappy libraries across the UK – visit, UK Cloth Nappy Network.
- Nappy Networks: Nappy networks such as the Hackney Nappy Network, are community-based groups that provide advice, support and resources for everyone interested in using reusable nappies. They often organise events, workshops and demonstration to help people learn more about reusable nappies.
- Washable Nappy Laundry Services: Some services, like Nappy Ever After and Number One for Nappies, offer a convenient solution for using reusable nappies. They provide a laundry service where you can rent nappies and have them professionally washed, saving you time and effort.
- Retailer National Incentive Schemes: Retailers specialising in reusable nappies such as The Nappy Gurus and The Nappy Lady, provides an incentive to encourage the use of reusable cloth nappies. They offer ‘incentive kits’ containing different types of reusable nappies at a heavily subsidised price, making them more accessible when a local council incentive scheme is not operating in your area.
- Second-Hand Reusable Nappies: A sustainable and cost-effective option is to acquire pre-loved reusable nappies from other families. This can be done through online platforms, local parenting groups, or even asking friends and family if they have any nappies they no longer need. Ensure that the second-hand nappies are in good working condition!
#PlasticFreeJuly #ReusableNappies #ClothNappies #RealNappiesForLondon #Wen #NappyVoucher